Saturday, October 08, 2005

because there's beauty in the breakdown.

"stephen,
personally, i hate organized religion, i was never baptized or had communion or been confirmed yet when I was younger I went to chruch every Sunday and my parents and grandparents are very religious and at a time in my life I really did want to get baptized but I think that is only because I was scared that I NEEDED a religion in my life, now I know you may disagree with a lot of the reasons why I don't like organized religion but I wish that you would not judge me for my beliefs because there is no way I would ever judge you for yours, I think too many people use religion as a way to get out of things, I know many people who can mess up so badly (cheat, lie, have premarital sex, not go to church, don't pray) yet they think that God will forgive them for everything if they just say they are sorry, to me that seems like bullshit, I just cant fathom the fact that you can do so many bad things in your life but you can be relieved of all of that if you confess, I just don't think that's right, but that's not the reason im writing, I listen to your music like its my career, and I don't mean I just hear it, I LISTEN to it, listen to every word, phrase, line, and it moves me, every single bit of your lyrics has changed me and moved me in some way, but is it bad that I feel that I can be moved by Christian music when I don't believe in the Christian faith or any religious faith at all? now I know you are a very insightful kind of guy that's why I am seeking your opinion on this matter, I find that your lyrics relate to my life in so many ways that at times its like your singing about me and my life, which I know many people think, but at times I feel kind of guilty because a lot of your music is based on those Christian beliefs that I disagree with, I will never stop listening to your music, EVER, it brings me to a different place where I can just be who I WANT to be, and that's the best feeling ever..."
-beauty in the breakdown

dearest beauty,
anberlin is not a Christian band.
I personally have a faith in Jesus Christ.
I don't judge you or anyone (that is not my place).
I don't care what color, creed, sexual orientation, or religion you
believe in, I just want you to be touched by the music!
if that brings you closer to God than that is amazing!
if you can learn from my mistakes and failure's than that is amazing as well.
as long as you walk away with a deeper sense of yourself and long to
be a better person than; I have done my job.
YOU DO NOT NEED RELIGION IN YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you do not need a man made set of rules to govern and dictate every
move of your life.
what you need is God.
I'm not asking you to swallow every pill I, or any other faith,
prescribe. what I'm asking you do is to "seek." and really earnestly
seek. look through all the religion's, and all the wise men, and read
every piece of literature that you come across.
I did.
and for me the conclusion that I came up with was that Jesus Christ
was the way, the truth, and the life.
all other religion's seemed very egocentric. all rules, regulation's,
and rituals. but with Christ all his message's are all about grace,
mercy, love, and giving to other people. "this is pure religion, to
love the widows and the orphan's." it is so altruistic. so giving, so
not human (for every fiber of my body is selfish).
please don't look to Christian's to find Christ. not your parent's,
grandparent's, me, or those people on TV. look to Christ, because we
are only human and we are ALL GOING TO FAIL YOU!
for me personally I have found HOPE. hope that there is something
beyond me, something bigger than myself, something after death,
something more than life itself.
so I am asking you to seek, everywhere, anywhere. but seek, and you will find.
God bless you on this journey called life.
I hope this helps a little.
-estaban

11 comments:

paris in Flames said...

Frou Frou.
I dont know if you've read about the guy whos soul purpose in life was to prove christianity wrong and he ended up becoming a christian.
Josh McDowell
that was his name, if you havent read anything by him, you really should!!

And I'm working on buying Veronica Decides to Die.

within the next two weeks I should be within the confines of a bookstore.

Take Care,
Erica

nate said...

hey estaban thanks for posting that, sometimes its just so hard to put things like this into words. I know what I should say but I dont always know how to say it.

The Beauty Trying Not To Be In The Breakdown said...

you have no idea how much that meant to me
thank you so much...
♥Erica

Scooby said...

Nothing is so difficult but that it may be found out by seeking. -Terence

Kaila said...

Beautiful. I am a Christian yet can still relate to the person who wrote this email and you replied with an awesome reply as usual. Amazing Stephen... amazing.

Anonymous said...

rather than 'seeking' that you mean here, it seems people are seeking a group they can belong to, where they can feel a sameness with other members of the group and at the same time, recognise themselves as different from others who don't belong the group. they want belonging, for feeling same and different simultaneously. it sounds contradiction, but specialness and uniqueness come from this feeling of sameness within the group.
this is from what i have read in a book about advertisements analysis, but it could be true of us generally. especially religon.
i myself feel pressured to have religious belief, to belong to a certain religion. i have felt inferior to those who have believes. however, i suppose that each of us should be individual, special and unique, BEFORE belonging to a group. then, perhaps one will find what he/she was 'seeking', which could be (could have been) found by other people too. then it looks a group or so it is called. does it make sense?
i believe i have been 'seeking' with my best effort, but who knows, is what and how i have been doing right or wrong? because i haven't found anything. i haven't found what you call God.
your words, though they are not addressed to me, encourage me too. thank you, stephen.
i would like to thank you beauty in the breakdown.
-meg

shypoet83 said...

That's a good post right there

Obeng said...

wow, this blog is a blessing. its good to know that there are others out there who feel the same way i do. i wish i could explain it as well as you.

this whole blog site is amazing. i'm def checking this out more often.

Meggios said...

Hey, I was reading your blog and agree with
what you are saying about church
> being from within & wanting to worship God
everyday, but I also thinking
> that people should go to church for
encouragement/fellowhship with the body.
> I have always struggled with this, and I think
many people do, because alot
> of people can't always go to church on Sunday
or Saturday (due to work,
> health, location, etc.), but the Bible also
talks about we as christians
> needing the encouragement/fellowship with other
believers. "Flee the evil
> desires of youth, and pursue righteousness,
faith, love and peace, along
> with those who call on the Lord out of a pure
heart." 2 Tim 2:22. If we are
> part of the body of Christ, we will feel
disconnected if we are not getting
> together with other believers to worship God,
talk about God, etc. Now,
> whether this is inside an "organized" church or
not, depends on your
> circumstances. I mean, look at missionaries,
they don't always have the
> access to go to an organized church
> service, but they try to fellowship with other
christians. God doesn't want
> us to be a lone christian, struggling in a
world of non-believers, but to
> also be able to connect with His body (or His
so called "church"). This
> doesn't have to be on a Sunday, it could be any
day of the week. I learned a
> couple of weeks ago, that the reason Christians
usually have Sabbath dayor
> church on Sunday is because of the Resurrection
of Jesus Christ. Before
> Jesus and even now the Jews have Sabbath on a
Saturday. So, in Rome, the
> Jews would celebrate Sabbath on Saturday and
the Christians would celebrate
> Sabbath on Sunday (unofficially), until
Constantine (who I believe was a
> christian), made it official for the christians
to celebrate the Sabbath on
> Sunday. So, how did we get the two Sabbath days
in the US? The patriarchs of
> the US wanted all who came to the US to be able
to have religious freedom,
> so they declared the US to having both Saturday
and Sunday off. Sorry for
> the detour, but my point is
> that Yes we do have freedom not the have to go
to an organized church, but
> God would like for us to be connected to the
body of Christ, through meeting
> with other christians in some form of worhsip
and sharing. There's nothing
> like the feeling of what it feels like when you
get alot of people together
> worshiping the same God in the same place.
Thanks for listening

Anonymous said...

I completey agree. If we are all alone in this world with just non-christians, we will become like them. We need fellowship with other christians.

Thanks Meggios, you are awesome and may God bless you.

Anonymous said...

so freakin good stephen!! :)

gen_gen_gem.livejournal.com